The other day at work, I talked with a co-worker about preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse. I told her about the upcoming show I cannot wait to watch, Doomsday preppers. If you’re like me and are generally interested by this possibility, watch the show.
Here’s a list of some essentials. It’s by no means complete. What works for you will depend largely on your game plan.
- Multiple knives of varying utility, magnesium fire starter. (This is a perfect duo at a good price.)
- Knife sharpener
- Glock 17 (Some people say the 9mm isn’t enough stopping power, but the most common ammo you’ll come across is 9mm, .22 rim fire, and 12 gauge shells. I’d rather be prepared for long-term sustainability than pick ammo that’s harder to find.) A pistol is really only useful for shooting your way to a rifle.
- WASR 10, M4, AR-15 rifles for self defense
- Ruger 10/22 for small game hunting
- Remington 870 / Marine Magnum / SAIGA 12
- Rubber raft — the Key here isn’t surviving on this boat, rather, being able to get to a boat that might be anchored off shore. Zombies — to my knowledge — aren’t swimmers.
- Duct tape, paracord, tarp
- Victorinox SwissChamp or Leatherman/ other multi tool
- Metal pot for boiling water, cups
- Wind up radio, self-powered flashlight. Solar charger(s)
- Medical Kit and other medical supplies
- Spray paint (to mark points of interest)
- Good maps, books with knowledge on survival techniques if you’re not trained
How you prepare depends a lot on your game plan. Many people would plan to go to save their loved ones, family, friends. Others would stay put.